The Community Connection Volunteer Program needs you! This program connects newcomers with the community through networking and other activities that support cross-cultural awareness and information language learning. By matching singles or families with volunteers, newcomers receive welcome support during initial stages of adjustment to their new life in Canada. Volunteers will provide support through:
- Individual/Family Matches: allows one-on-one support of volunteers with newcomer’s families.
- Conversation Circles: held every Saturday and provide an opportunity for newcomers to practice English and engage with their peers in a safe, informal setting.
- The GIFT Program: provides support to immigrants with foreign-based educational credentials, empowering them to seek better opportunity in the work place. Volunteers will have the opportunity to assist with professional mentorship.
- Information Sessions: provide opportunities for volunteers to lean more about other cultures and provide suggestion on how to support newcomers as they adapt to Canadian culture.
Volunteers will have:
- the ability to make a valuable contributions to a newcomers families life
- the opportunity to learn about the settlement processes for newcomers to Canada
- the chance to gain life-changing insight into the challenges and barriers experienced by newcomers
- the occasion to share knowledge of community resources available to the newcomers
- the possibility of being a crucial support for newcomers during their most difficult time period
- the probability of providing opportunities for cross cultural engagement through individual and group activities
Vehicle, Police Checks
Age of Volunteers Suitable For This Opportunity:
Adult 18-64 years, Seniors 65+ years
Type Of Opportunity:
Individual, Group, Family, ESL
Length of Commitment:
Long Term (6 months or more)
Can This Work Be Done From Home?:
If Interested, Please Contact:
Phone #: 403-320-1589 Ext. 228
Back to Volunteer Opportunities