Stay Up To Date
Sign up to be the first to know about upcoming volunteer opportunities and community news.
Become a Volunteer
Choose Your Volunteer Experience
I am not sure where I would like to volunteer.
I am not sure where I could use my skills.
Volunteer Management Advisors are available to review your application, meet with you, make volunteer placement suggestions support you as you obtain your required screening documents, and together, determine suitable volunteer placements.
If you need support, this is your application!
I know where I want to volunteer.
I am the leader of a group.
I would like to volunteer with a group.
If you have already chosen an agency to volunteer at, and you don’t need help to choose your placement, this is your application.
Also, there are several people who may be interested in volunteering as a group: music groups, businesses, spiritual or community groups - the sky is the limit!
If you wish to volunteer as a group, this is your application!
I would like to join a volunteer registry.
Some not for profit organizations use volunteer registries as a means to communicate opportunities to registry members. There are no screening requirements to join volunteer registries.
If you would like to know about volunteer opportunities linked to specific registry groups, this is your application!
To assist you in finding your ideal volunteer opportunity, we use a platform called Volunteer Connector that matches volunteers with organizations needing assistance.
Through the comprehensive search function, volunteers are able to find ideal opportunities to give back, in a specific area, category or activity.
The system provides volunteers with:
- Free access to local volunteer opportunities - ones appealing to your skills and interests
- A dashboard to keep track of your schedule, hours, roles, and more
- Alerts on new volunteer opportunities with your desired organizations
Without community involvement, Volunteer Lethbridge couldn't exist, so thank you for your interest in volunteering. Together, we can build a stronger, more vibrant community that is open and welcoming to all.
Whatever your passion, abilities and schedule, it's our mission to connect you with volunteer opportunities where you can excel and make a real difference.
Whether you want to use your unique talents to help others, or you're looking to develop new, valuable skills for our province's competitive job market, we can match you with positive and meaningful volunteer opportunities that will help you help others - and yourself.
Volunteering allows every member of society to impact the community in a powerful way. It's the chance to give back, to strengthen bonds, and promote causes that will make real, lasting differences for all.
By getting involved with volunteering, we can:
Support strong, connected communities
Build capacity for organizations, enabling them to benefit all society
Nurture healthy, long-lasting relationships
These benefits are more than pleasant - they are foundational for a healthy, democratic society like Canada.
Not only does volunteering build a stronger, more connected community, but it also has some serious benefits for you, too.
New To Canada?
It can be tough to enter the job market as a new immigrant. Certifications, skills and experience from other countries often don't translate to Canada, leaving many newcomers feeling lost and like they're starting from scratch.
While you're waiting for your chance to forge your own destiny in Canada (designations, applications, etc.), volunteering can fill in those gaps, helping to clear the path to better employment opportunities for you in the future.
Volunteer roles related to your profession, education, and experience can help you in a variety of ways, such as:
- Networking and building connections with others in your field of interest
- Learning more about Canadian workplace culture
- Practicing your English and sharpening other skills
- Showing that you're a motivated, hard-working, and dedicated individual
- Building confidence in yourself and in your employment search
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get started!
Before you move on to Getting Started with volunteer opportunities, now is a great time to take a few moments for consideration. The self-evaluation and tips listed below will help to manage your (and others') expectations when applying to become a volunteer.
Self-evaluation before you volunteer
- What skills do I bring to the table? Write down a list of your strengths. Click here for a template to help you get started.
- What skills do I want to develop? Make a list of skills you'd like (or need) to learn.
- What jobs don't I want to do? Set your boundaries by determining which jobs are not ideal for you. Click here for a Window of Work template to assist you.
- How much time can I commit? Get a general idea of how many hours per week you can devote to volunteering.
Tips for professionalism in your volunteer work
Before you volunteer (if possible)
- Request a job-description from the organization you wish to volunteer with
- Submit a clean, professional cover letter and resume
- Promptly complete any required orientation and training
- Request that your supervisor keep a record of your service
- Record every volunteer job you do, and keep track of all your hours
- When applying for new work opportunities, be sure to record all of your volunteering jobs on your resume
- If unemployed for a period of time, put 'volunteer work' in place of 'paid employment'
- Be present, proactive and positive in your position! Try to think up new ideas and strategies, and have fun getting to know the people you work with
- Leverage connection opportunities to grow your network (socially and professionally)
Volunteer Resources - COVID 19
**This section will be used to help support volunteers as they continue to find ways to give their time during COVID.**
- COVID-19 Factsheet for Volunteers: click here.
- COVID-19 Volunteer Checklist: click here and here.
- Guidelines for Volunteering: click here and here.
- Information About Wearing Masks
- For up to date information about wearing masks, click here.
- For information on how to properly wear a mask, click here.
- Tips for volunteering from home, click here.